The following collection of images were all taken at our Winter Image Show and are the individual elements of the superb Shohin and Mame displays. I have tried to include at least one tree or more from each display so you can see the trees up close and personal and they are in no particular order.
Here are details of the visiting clubs and societies that attend our winter image show…
Here are links to two short videos that have been uploaded to youtube that show a brief tour of some of the trees that were on display at our 10th Anniversary Winter Image Show, hope you enjoyed the show for all those who visited it and hope those that didn’t can get a flavour from the video clips.
This year there was a new exhibit at our show and it was the Shohin and Mame displays in association with the British Shohin Association. There were some great trees on display and the winner for the Best Mame display went to Bob Bailey of Swindon & District Bonsai Society, while the Best Shohin display went to Mark and Ritta Cooper.
What a busy show, we had over 400 visitors to our show and it was a fun packed day with much to see and discuss. Following an early start finishing off all the preparations for the show with the rest of the other visiting societies and traders, the show was officially opened by the Mayor. The show then was open to the public and within the first half an hour over 200 visitors had come through the doors.
Here are the award winning trees and displays from the show…
Swindon & District Bonsai Society Winter image show 2012 results
- Best Shohin display* was by Mark & Ritta Cooper
- Best Mame display* was by Bob Bailey
- Best Conifer* was the Chinese Juniper that was owned by Martin Martin Shepperd
- Best Deciduous* tree was the Trident Maple by Mark Cooper
- Best Chuhin* was the Elm of Will Baddeley
- Best Visiting Society* was the Artistic Bonsai Circle
- Best Accent sponsord by John Trott was by Ian Warhurst from Wirral Bonsai Society
- Best in Show* was the Trident Maple of Mark Cooper
- Best Tree/Pot combination was the Pyracantha by Mark Cooper
- Best individual Shohin award from the British Shohin Association went to Paul Hunt of Swindon & District Bonsai Society
- NB: Awards with * are all sponsored by John Pitt Ceramics
This is the view on the night before our 10th Anniversary Swindon and District Bonsai Society Winter Image Show for 2012 when we started the set up in anticipation of the big day ahead. It was a busy evening of building, carrying, moving, lifting, unrolling and shuffling by all who helped out and it is no mean feat to set up all the tables and screens and put out all the chairs the night before in only around 3 hours. Some of the visiting clubs and societies and traders were also present and put up their displays ready for the next day too. Here is a little sample of some of the nights activity.
It is now only 5 days before our Winter Image Show this Sunday and Paul B gave an update on the final preparations and we discussed the last remaining arrangements and set up times. This was then followed by a talk firstly from Terry Adams on how to prepare your bonsai trees for a show and then a further talk by Bob Bailey on setting up a Shohin or Mame display / Tokonoma.