What a busy show, we had over 400 visitors to our show and it was a fun packed day with much to see and discuss. Following an early start finishing off all the preparations for the show with the rest of the other visiting societies and traders, the show was officially opened by the Mayor. The show then was open to the public and within the first half an hour over 200 visitors had come through the doors.
Here are the award winning trees and displays from the show…
Swindon & District Bonsai Society Winter image show 2012 results
- Best Shohin display* was by Mark & Ritta Cooper
- Best Mame display* was by Bob Bailey
- Best Conifer* was the Chinese Juniper that was owned by Martin Martin Shepperd
- Best Deciduous* tree was the Trident Maple by Mark Cooper
- Best Chuhin* was the Elm of Will Baddeley
- Best Visiting Society* was the Artistic Bonsai Circle
- Best Accent sponsord by John Trott was by Ian Warhurst from Wirral Bonsai Society
- Best in Show* was the Trident Maple of Mark Cooper
- Best Tree/Pot combination was the Pyracantha by Mark Cooper
- Best individual Shohin award from the British Shohin Association went to Paul Hunt of Swindon & District Bonsai Society
- NB: Awards with * are all sponsored by John Pitt Ceramics
This is the view on the night before our 10th Anniversary Swindon and District Bonsai Society Winter Image Show for 2012 when we started the set up in anticipation of the big day ahead. It was a busy evening of building, carrying, moving, lifting, unrolling and shuffling by all who helped out and it is no mean feat to set up all the tables and screens and put out all the chairs the night before in only around 3 hours. Some of the visiting clubs and societies and traders were also present and put up their displays ready for the next day too. Here is a little sample of some of the nights activity.
It is now only 5 days before our Winter Image Show this Sunday and Paul B gave an update on the final preparations and we discussed the last remaining arrangements and set up times. This was then followed by a talk firstly from Terry Adams on how to prepare your bonsai trees for a show and then a further talk by Bob Bailey on setting up a Shohin or Mame display / Tokonoma.
This month there were six entries for tree of the month including Korean Hornbeams, Deshojo maple, Chinese Elm, Siberian Elm and a Forsythia. The winning tree was a mame Korean Hornbeam, followed in second place by a Chinese Elm and in third place a Forsythia.
Lee Verhorevoort Bonsai will be a trader at our 2012 Winter Image Show on Sunday 19th February and Lee will be selling a wide range of Bonsai trees and some really unusual and unique tree species.
We are delighted to add some more fantastic prizes to our raffle donated very kindly by Gerrit Lodder of Lodder Bonsai bv and the Hoka-en Bonsai Studio in Harmelen, Holland. They include a stunning Mame Zelkova nire along with a collection of bonsai sundry essentials.
There will be a great raffle at our 10th Anniversary Bonsai Winter Image Show and we have a few more raffle prizes to add to the list including two £5 gift vouchers for Golden Acres Nurseries ltd at West Parley, Ferndown. So thank you all for your kind donations to our raffle and we look forward to seeing you in two weeks time at our show.