Not long now before the Swindon Winter Image Bonsai Show on Sunday 25th February 2018, looking forward to seeing everyone there. Here is the list of awards and details about the judging criteria for each of the award categories.
List of Awards
1. Best Overall Display in show [Area within a backdrop, includes Tree/Pot/stand/scroll and accent depending on what used]
2. Best Club display
3. Best Shohin Tree, approx 20 cm from pot
4. Best Chuhin Tree, approx 45 cm from pot
5. Best Deciduous Tree
6. Best Evergreen tree
7. Best Tree/Pot combo, awarded by Walsall Studio Ceramic
8. Best Accent, awarded by Mendip Bonsai, judged by John Trott
9. ‘Arihato Award’, Best small tree, awarded and judged by Kit Bowns
10. Best Innovative Entry, awarded by Esoteric Pots, Dan Barton
The size limits for the award categories
• Mame – approximately 10cm from soil surface
• Shohin – approximately 20cm from soil surface
• Chuhin – approximately 45cm maximum from soil surface (includes Kifu)
This year we will be using a panel of judges, similar to the system used at several bonsai events. It will be made up of experienced amateurs.
Each judge will select 3 trees in each category. There is no need to select 1st, 2nd & 3rd, so the order is irrelevant. The results will then be aggregated out and details will be posted for all to see the voting and any comments made.
In the event of a tie between two or more, the Overall judge [Reg Bolton] and Head Judge [Steve McKee] will be asked to decide the vote on those trees to select the winner.
The winning trees/displays will be identified by temporary award cards and the main Awards will be presented later in the show [about 1400 hrs] and followed by the raffle.